Education’s purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
A child miseducated is a child lost. -John F. Kennedy
Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. -Albert Einstein
He who opens a school door, closes a prison. -Victor Hugo
Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without loosing your temper or your self-confidence. -Robert Frost
When a subject becomes totally obsolete we make it a requirement. -Peter Drucker
A good teacher must know the rules; a good pupil, the exceptions. -Martin H. Fisher
Education is learning what you didn’t know you didn’t know. -George Boas
1) One of the best ways to learn information, is to review and look over notes that you took in class, right after class is over. It keeps the material fresh in your mind.
2) Study the most important information first. For example, what the teacher hinted at or repeated over and over agin, is a good place to start.
3) Memorizing is not studying and does not make you smarter.
4) Having jazz or classical music play softly in the background can help with stress.
5) Do not study any later than the time you usually go to sleep. It can be too tempting for your body to want to go to sleep and not study.
What is home schooling- the practice of teaching children in the home as an alternative to attending public or private elementary or high school.
Reasons why parents may take their children out of the school systems is because they disagree with how their child is being taught and what they are being taught.
When a parent puts their child into home schooling, they take matters into their own hands.
They have the opportunity to determine the curriculum and can show their children that learning can be fun and exiciting.
Also parents can give more attention to their children if they struggle in a certain subject. And cater to their needs. Unlike in a classroom setting with one teacher and many students.
According to the National Center For Education Statistics in the school year of 2011-2013 91 percent of parents said, the school environment was a big reason for the change into home schooling.
However, drawbacks can occur such as socialization issues. For example, not being around other students of a similiar age throughout the day. Not attenting school functions, such as sporting events or dances, can leave home schoolers feeling left out.
Home schooling is not for everybody but many students can benefit from it.
Many parents tell their children if they do not pass a class or behave better they will be forced to go to summer school. As a child your summer’s are for playing outside with friends, family vacations and just being a kid.
It is seen more as a punishment than as getting ahead of your peers, or working on something that you struggle with.
In college, summer school is seen as an opportunity. A chance to get into a class that you missed out on previously that school year. Or to repeat a class you didn’t do so well on.
Summer school offers a different environment compared to the traditional school year. The classes are smaller and the professor has more time to focus on what the class is having a difficult time on.
Another benefit of taking a class during the summer months, is less distraction. Only taking one course can help a student focus on that particular subject. They do no have to worry about juggling other classes.
Summer school is a great way to keep yourself from getting lazy. It is not as full throtle as the typical school semesters are but it does prevent one from forgoing their study habits.
Give it a try.
1) “Educating the mind without educationg the heart is no education at all.” -Aristotle
2) “A child without education, is like a bird without wings.”-Tibetan proverb
3) “I am not a teacher, but an awakener.” -Robert Frost
4) “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” -Nelson Mandela
5) “Most people are mirrors, reflecting, the moods and emotions of the times; few are windows, bringing light to bear on the dark corners where troubles fester. The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.” -Sydeny J Harris
6) “It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.” -Albert Einstein
7) “Education is not preperation for life; education is life itself.” -John Dewey
8) “Thinking is the hardest work any one can do- which is probably the reason why we have so few thinkers.” -Henry Ford
9) “Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned.” -Mark Twain
10) “Education: the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty.” -Mark Twain
Technology is changing and becoming more advance now than ever, and students deserve an education that is just as high-speed. Our society is technologically enhanced, yet education is still lagging behind.
In high school you will find common courses being taught such as english literature, mathematics and science. But very few high schools offer classes such as computer science.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics mentions by the year 2020 that there will be a million more job openings than there are trained workers to fill the positions. This creates a large skill gap.
Take Khan Academy for instance, offering instructional videos, helps students learn at their own pace outside of the classroom environment. This can be beneficial if students can do their homework and projects at school and review and listen to lectures after school.
Students who are instructed by their teachers instead of allowing the teacher to facilitate, and are struggling tend to go home after the school day is over and have concerns and questions with no teacher available to offer assistance.
Having uniforms prevents any distractions from going on in the classroom (creates a sense of unity)
Students do not need to worry what they are going to wear the next day
Uniforms can encourage discipline
Wearing the same as others can create a sense of belonging and help create school spirit and school pride
Uniforms make it easier to help identify intruders that may enter the school
Can hinder a student from expressing themself
Are an issue to families who are not financially secure
Can be hard to enforce in the public school systems